Saturday, March 10

Up, Up & Away!

Dear Diary,

My Upward Bound Presentations went very well, especially since the first one was plagued by technical difficulties. My original big closing was derailed since I could not get sound on the computer which defeated the purpose. But I have suffered enough Technical Deaths to know how to be Reborn with a low-tech contingent plan.

So I had to rely on my quick thinking and so I piggybacked off of the wonderful keynote speaker points and ended with a powerful motivational poem by Les Brown called "Live Your Dreams." The keynote speaker was Attorney Cleo Washington.

One facilitator form Purdue said I need to make a recording of my presentation because it was so dynamic and I have an amazing personal story to share. So I invited him to follow me around with a video camera and we can make my life into a Reality TV show. Students asked me "How do I keep myself so motivated?" And I told them it is a daily struggle. I strive for balance because I tend to be an extremist, so I may watch Flavor of Love or some other "Mindless Entertainment Production." (Mindless Entertainment is actually the name of the company).

But for every hour I spend not using my mind, I double that amount of time spend doing something mentally challenging.

The keynote speaker spoke about Plato's Cave Analogy and tunnel limited vision. He also talked about the "Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost.

My evaluations were very good and the audience reaction was overwhelmingly positive. I am on such a high. There is no comparable feeling than that of "Giving Back" to future generations. YAY!

This was just the boost I needed to get me over the hump for the intense few weeks that start in 18 hours.