Wednesday, March 28

Notre Dame Interview

Dear Diary,

I finished my 3 days of interviews at Notre Dame this week. I think it went really well, we should know within a few weeks hopefully. It is a strange situation, not only being an internal candidate, but having the only other candidate be my co-resident. This is pretty awkward for most of our co-workers who have explicitly stated that we are both great but just extremely opposite from each other, whatever that means? But at least, this is a win-win because at least the tradition will continue of the residents having the option to stay.

I worked incredibly hard on my presentation. And thank God, it went off without a hitch! No technology snafus or mishaps. I half expected the audience to begin tossing Rose Petals over my head, at the end of my presentation. But of course, I ALWAYS expect my audience to toss rose petals in fact I expect perfect strangers to do that when I walk pass, as well. I have been at times concerned that I have an over-inflated self ego. Ha! Ha!

I have gotten really great feedback about my presentation. I got some helpful questions afterwards that actually helped me convey a more definitive explanation of my example of class activities. I actually pulled up my Pirate Teacher class slides and went through them and heard a lot of "Ohs and Ahs." I don't think until that moment that I realized the potential for people to misconstrue my instruction sessions with little more than glorified play time. So when they realized the level of detail and content that is involved in my class, I think that strengthened my overall presentation. One of my co-instructors for my Pirate Teacher class was in attendance and he vouched for me, but I had not appreciated that the majority of the others only see me walking around in a Pirate Costume with a screaming sword...so they would have no way of knowing that I cover the same if not more content as all other instructors. So that worked out.

Some people were unable to attend my presentation, so I vowed to go to anyone's office who did not attend and RE-DO my entire presentation in their office. And so I did just that. I think people believed I was kidding and that was an idle threat. They know better now. Ha! Ha! And while I am not usually a supporter of FORCIBLE INSTRUCTION...sometimes it cannot be avoided. I can't imagine why people think I am slightly insane. Ha!
*
*
But seriously, I was thinking about that car insurance commercial wherein the speaker gives someone some bad news but adds, "The good news is that I just saved up to 15% on my car insurance!" Well, I think even though I have been somewhat, just a wee bit stressed out with juggling work projects and interviews...the good news is that I just saved 50% on my THERAPY bill!"

I love Notre Dame for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which is the people who I work with. I have been blessed to have the most absolutely incredible mentors here. They not only challenge me professionally but they are always always there for me personally. And it is more than just a couple so it is a really wonderful support network. In addition to my work and interview and of course my publishing responsibilities, I have been steeped in personal and family crises. they never fail to keep my encouraged and always listen and give me a genuine smile and a big ole hug when needed. Aaawww Shucks!! I told them I can't imagine being somewhere else and not having them all within a few feet of my office. But we will see how this whole thing plays out.