Tuesday, March 6

Organization & Flexibility is Key

Dear Diary,

I am doing what feels like the world's greatest juggling act. I need a personal assistant to help me keep straight my schedule. I try to cram all my job-hunting activities into the few hours before or after work or over my lunch. So between scheduling phone interviews and next week beginning in person interviews, and refreshing my memory about each specific position and institution, in addition to my committee work, instruction, and blog project, it is quite a task.

I appreciate the variations in approaches to these interviews. One group was kind enough to forward me the list of questions they plan to ask in my phone interview. That was much appreciated.
*
Another phone interview was held in the most unconventional manner ever. It took some scheduling ping-pong back and forth so once we had a time and date, I was reluctant to re-schedule due to my Strep Throat. But I was getting worse so was actually still out running errands and trying to get my prescription filled during my interview. They were willing to postpone it but I figured it is just an opportunity to showcase how good I am at multitasking. Ha! Ha! Not recommended.

Because the next problem was my cell phone started breaking up so I went outside. Total strangers were considerate enough to voluntarily come get me to say they were calling my name to go get my prescription, but of course when I got to the counter, my name had not been called. The entire process lasted about 30 minutes and we managed to get through the interview just fine. They were actually very flexible and it was just funny once I look back on it. I did thank them for being "with me" while I was in the doctor's waiting room. It was actually quite comforting. My dad used to go and sit with me during long waits at the doctors so they made me feel as though I was not there all alone. Ha! Okay, so I can blame the medication for any lapses in judgment.

An extra fun interview was with a person who had to interview me during the evening because of my hectic schedule. They too were at home and had to referee a fight between their cat and dog. Ha! They have 4 cats. I am a cat-fanatic and of course I am terribly allergic. But I really enjoy living vicariously through people who have kitties! Awww. On the bright side, I am not hating these late night and weekend interviews. I have free nights and weekends, so it doesn't reduce my monthly minutes. I've had more and more scheduled after 7pm and on Friday and Sunday nights.

I am hoping that I am not a victim of my own success. By that I mean, it is becoming increasingly more complicated to schedule campus visits. One person told me during the phone interview they were afraid I would not be able to fit them into my hectic schedule. Luckily I have the best-EST managers in the world and so they have been incredibly flexible. But even that has just about run into it's limits. There are only so many days in a week to move meetings and classes to.
Oh well...I know...I know...There are worse problems to have. It is all pretty exciting. I just could really use a personal assistant, but then again who couldn't. I could also use a maid and a personal chef and a massage therapist and ugh...umm... well you get the idea.

It is funny because some of the people I interview with have either called me back when they meant to call the next candidate, or emailed me using another candidate's name. I point it out and they all apologize. But I totally understand how easy it is to make those mistakes and I pray to God that I do not get mixed up when communicating with potential employers. But we are only human right?