Thursday, March 29

Once and For All

Dear Diary,

I usually try to view all situations in a positive light. To that end, I have been trying to convince my mentors of the merits of my latest "IDEA." I am sure it is a direct result of my exhaustion, but I am also trying to make the numerous interviews I'm conducting more EFFICIENT. So I propose instead of doing 3 phone interviews each day, perhaps I can create a webcast of a sort of Audition Tape. I am applying for similar library positions with similar requirements. I only apply to those that I feel I am qualified for. And as hard as this may be to hear, libraries are not that dis-similar. Neither are their interview questions. Unfortunately, the do differ greatly in the topics I have been required to present on during my campus interviews. It figures.

But I digress. Like I was saying, I can create a recording to be viewed at the interviewers' leisure. No longer would we have to coordinate schedules for 4 or 5 people for a phone conference call. Instead, I can answer some of the basics that they all ask:

1) What interested me in their position/ university?
2) What makes me qualified?
3) What is my approach/philosophy to instruction/reference?
4) Do I have good communication skills?
5) Am I innovative/creative?
6) Am I a team player, but am I also able to work independently?

Now imagine a body answering those same or slight variations of those same questions over and over and over and over, in the span of about a month. Not just on weekdays, or during work hours but continuing on weekends and evenings.

Now I ask you would it not save all parties involved considerable time to have those questions pre-recorded and they can view it and then if they have more questions or wish to continue they could contact each other after that time saving measure?

Just think of it, the possibilities are endless. I could don my pirate costume and do a demo. I could use this as an example of my innovative ideas and creative ability. My managers don't think it will fly. But oh well...