Thursday, February 2

Teacher Becomes the Student

Dear Diary,

We live...we learn...and sometimes we learn as we go. That is the case with me and my first "for-credit" class. I have improved my system of organizing correspondence with my students. Today was the first day they got back graded assignments and so far only 1 person has brought to my attention, an oversight on my part.

The student emailed me and I responded in the affirmative about not having to cite call numbers for electronic journals if there is none given, which was also the information the reference librarian had provided. Well, in the midst of grading papers, I relied on the answer sheet from previous classes which provided call numbers. So I, in my auto-pilot mode simply deducted points for all those without call numbers. Luckily the student was kind enough to inquire and re-send my original email. I immediately corrected the grade and forwarded it with my most heartfelt apologies.

I also decided to print all the email correspondence with students regarding today's assignment and have attached the email "replies" to the student's assignments. This will remind me of discussions / decisions I've made. Because I see now interacting with 21 students can leave room for error or inconsistencies. And I plan to avoid any more such careless errors. I plan to implement this procedure for all future assignments.

Even though I am not perfect, as much as I hate to admit that, I am thoroughly enjoying my class. My manager commented on how much more livelier my class is than his session. My group is regularly laughing and talking to each other during the group work time. And today while doing an in-class worksheet to learn SciFinder Scholar which uses prepositions as opposed to boolean operators, and, or, not...I had 2 different students tell me about the Preposition Song they learned in high school. So I found the following that they confirmed was the song. They said it is sang to the rhythm of Jingle Bells.


Preposition Song

A preposition (clap clap)
is a word (clap clap)
used to show (clap clap)
the relationship (clap clap)
of a noun (clap clap)
or a pronoun (clap clap)
to some other word (clap clap)
in the sentence (clap clap)

(Set to the tune of Jingle Bells)

aboard
about
above
across
after
against
along
among
around
at
before
behind
below
beneath
beside
besides
between
beyond
by
concerning
down
during
except
for
from
in
inside
ohhhhhhh….
into
like
near
of
off
on
out
over
pass
since
through
throughout
till
to
toward
under
underneath
unto
up
upon
with
within
without
that is the end of our preposition song.