Tuesday, February 14

Is it Worth it?

Dear Diary,

Today my manager and I again discussed the reasons he created 20 different homework assignments for every single assignment, even though it dramatically increases the amount of time needed to grade each.

He insists he is doing his part to contribute to the environment of Academic Integrity. I consider it a "Lead them not into temptation..." approach.

I think back to the lectures on Millenials, that describes how this generation prefers a teamwork approach to learning. But he insists that it is important to disallow cheating on assignments. He insists "It is not fair to the other students who complete their homework assignments independently."

Today the Conservation Lab, hosted a Valentine's Day Open House complete with Catered Coffee and Smoothies. I made a journal. I watched paper get a bath. It was amazing!

Lastly, in my manager's class the computer system took nearly 5 minutes to load. So that drastically took away from in-class practice time. Luckily, I created "screen captures" of the entire process for today's in-class assignment. I figured since it was a complex database, the visual answers would help reinforce the concepts. And since some students did not have a chance to do the in-class practice, the answer sheet should help them.

Perfect timing, if I do say so myself! That reinforces my practice of having them log on at the beginning of class as opposed to waiting until I complete my lecture. I think it saves times.

Interesting thing I learned today:

Q. What is the chemical reason why water doesn’t “cool” your throat after eating hot sauce containing capsaicin?

A. After a review of the literature, it was determined that capsaicin is fat soluble. So if you eat hot sauce then consume something containing some Fat such as butter or whole milk.