Friday, February 3

Just Keep Going & Going & ...

Dear Diary,

I am waiting to hear from my manager as to whether he will need to begin working part-time, and that will directly impact my workload. I know that he will be out during the month of April, but he just learned of this possibility last night. We will see.

I am still grading papers. I read through all papers once and simply credit the students with 1) On - time submission and 2) all answers present (including accompanying printouts / photocpoies, etc...)

Next I create a new grade sheet, weekly so I can make comments and return their grade with their assignments. Each assignment is different and so is my grade sheet. I do this on paper first and once the format is finalized then I create the electronic sheets.

I received an email from a fellow resident requesting feedback on my experience so far. I had not thought about the specific questions asked and so when I answered them I figured this would be a good thing to add here:

Challenges :

I have basically been getting acclimated to the hierarchy and the "acceptable" manner to move ideas forward. Careful of stepping on those toes!

I have to balance my desire to be involved in every possible endeavor, but not over-commiting myself and stretching myself too thin.

I want to knock their socks off without knocking myself out!

Goals
I'd like to gain experience in a variety of settings, in my case, Law and Chemistry BRANCH libraries as well as different departments in the Main Library such as Collection Development and projects with the African-American Subject librarian.

Also I'd like to positively convey the benefits of being a professional librarian to the High School students working in the library over the summer.