Wednesday, May 9

This is Why I'm Hot!

Dear Diary,

I attended a presentation on Second Life (SL) , hosted by the Kaneb Center. The presenter kept jokingly referring me to as his Ringer. While I have only played around with SL, I was actually able to answer some questions from the audience that he was not. Obviously I learned a great deal from him, so it worked perfectly. I managed to impress my manager who was there. She actually said that she was very proud to have me in her department. Aww Shucks.

"Second Life" is a multi-user online virtual world with nearly six million registered users; at any given time you can expect to find 30,000 people there! Its primary use to date has been as a social gathering place, but more and more universities are actively exploring the possibilities of Second Life as an art gallery, library, business venue, virtual laboratory, immersive language environment, and more. If you would like to see a demonstration of Second Life and participate in the ensuing discussion

Not only was I able to answer questions, I provided information about the CyberOne class that Harvard conducted in SL. That has been added to the SL resource page, already.

***Bonus
, I am officially one of the select few to be part of Kaneb's Center Faculty Learning Communities (FLC) for their upcoming SL project. YAY! FLCs consist of a multidisciplinary mix of five or more faculty members. FLCs focus on specific instructional issues from technology to ethical behavior. I am going to join them at at Conference in August discussing Second Life and we are going to work with a speaker coming to campus to discuss their University class in SL.
*
*
I have finished my Marketing presentation for the May Institute.
*
I am beginning to work on our Caching in at the Library project wherein the students use GPS to locate hidden objects in the library. I will write the clues in prose. It should be a lot of fun.
*
I am still working on my ERSA blog. Our Aystems Administrator added a WYSIWYG editor to Drupal which has added tremendous functionality for me. He removed the teaser module. It was not appropriate for our needs. I am finalizing our Measure of Success for a meeting with Systems that I have to lead in my manager's absence.
*
I joined ALA's Reference and User Services (RUSA).
*
I completed my first round of Card Sorting Usability testing today. Now I"m off to rest.