Thursday, July 6

Tears of Joy!!!

Dear Diary,

WOW! I am so excited. I submitted my first ever collection development evaluation report. Slight panic attack because my student worker had worked for the past few weeks on counting records in catalogs comparable to Notre Dame, such as Boston College and Georgetown and Emory. Well naturally the day before I leave for a 2 week vacation, I am reminded that my report is due. Yikes! OK...ugh...umm..stay calm....no need to panic...just because this is also the first time my student worker is absent and she takes her work with her when she leaves.

No Sweat! I just re-did all the work she had done and submitted it with a whopping 18 minutes to spare before the end of the day today. She returned but I wasn't going to risk it. So instead I verified my work with her numbers, as a quality control measure. Phew!

I couldn't stop thinking
..."Back in the day...when I was young"...(those are lyrics to a song)

"When I worked with Mr. King, he said that he would give me a really good recommendation if I needed one in the future.
*
*
He said and I quote:
"She is a really hard worker...
CRIES A LOT....
but still a good worker!"
*
*
He got Jokes!
*

But I explained to him that:
"I am a Delicate Flower, Dag-Nabbit!
*
He disbelieves me for some strange reason. Ha!

AnyWHO...I'm off to the Motherland. I am attending an exciting conference, thanks to working for the WORLD GRESTEST INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING!!!

http://www.tlatz.org/scecsal2006/

Tanzania Library Association Conference, the XVII SCECSAL in Dar es Salaam.

The XVII Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern African Library and Information Professionals (SCECSAL XVII) Organizing Committee has the pleasure of inviting library and information professionals and others to the SCECSAL XVII to be hosted by the Tanzania Library Association (TLA) in Dar es Salaam from 10th to 14th July 2006.

This conference will bring together some 500 delegates from all over the world, most will be from Africa. SCECSAL's conference and exhibition is the biggest African event for professionals within the library and information sector. SCECSAL 2006 offers an excellent opportunity for hundreds of delegates, experts, and library and information providers from all over the world to exchange ideas and experience as well as to introduce new innovations and products.The theme for the SCECSAL Conference is:

"Libraries as a Bridge to an Information and Knowledge Society in Eastern, Central and Southern Africa"
*
*
I am most looking forward to meeting libraries from other countries. I think BIG a.k.a. globally so this will be an incredibly beneficial opportunity for me.

I plan to attend the workshop on intellectual freedom and the information and knowledge society - organised by IFLA FAIFE.

KEYNOTE ADDRESS: THE WORLD INFORMATION SOCIETY CONCEPT AND AFRICA: CREATING A TRULY CIVIL SOCIETY: THE CONTRIBUTION OF LIBRARIES TO AN EQUITABLE GLOBAL INFORMATION SOCIETY, ALEX BYRNE, IFLA PRESIDENT, AUSTRALIA

Another interesting session is below, this speaks to my Activist Librarian belief:
The role of libraries in promoting democracy in Africa. MOHAMMED M. AMAN, UNITED STATES