Friday, January 6

I Think I Can...I Think I Can...


Dear Diary,

I gained access to Contribute, after creating a sample website for the Institutional Digital Repository. I came up with a cutsy title for our project: ND's I.D.

It is a play on words. I used ID as an abbreviation for Institutional Depository, (I've have seen these projects referred to both ways).

But also because the content is a way to "identify" Notre Dame's scholars. Get it?

I found volunteers to do my Active Learning exercises, so I can time them and make any adjustments.

Speaking of "possibilities," I am working on an active learning activity for Patents. And have been researching some of the more interesting ones, yes of course the Bird Diaper. But also

"Form Fitting" invented by: Rikiya Fukuda, A door that fits like a glove!

Fukuda's Automatic Door, designed in Japan, opens just enough to match the shape of the person or object passing through. The nifty motion-detecting portal saves energy by keeping a door from having to repeatedly open all the way. That helps maintain a stable temperature in a room and can prevent dirt and other materials from being swept inside. In addition to people, the new system can be used for small objects, like packages dropped off at a post office, or for larger things, like a car coming through a garage door.