Thursday, October 19

Blogs, Blogs and More Blogs

Dear Diary,

Been cheating on you with other blogs. I am creating a blog for my department and there is a lot more involved in making sure all the users' needs are met and the level of professionalism is guarded and the templates can be customized, etc....

So basically after blogging all day long, I have not been blogging for fun. But these are some of the ones I have narrowed the choices down to:

From Wordpress
On the above website, I like the 2 examples:
Like the TOP images here and
3D effect here.
*
The team loves the layout here.
But it is a webpage, and we are more interested in the ease of updating offered by blogs.
*
*
Separately, I have been working on Marketing Ideas for RefWorks. I plan to combine a few concepts the team likes:

We like the puzzle piece ideathat RefWorks uses but they don't allow us to edit the posters:


So instead I want to create my own poster using my theme "Refworks to the Rescue" keeping with our lifesaver theme. So I thought it would cool to use the puzzle pieces concept but have the image be a Life Saver. I found this really cute puzzle piece image on the Web Group's site. We want to do something like this.
*
*

In a separate Blogosphere I found this link that discusses Cost Benefit Analysis of Institutional Repositories. I passed it along to our IDR team, since they are drafting the final report replete with a "Chinese Menu of Choices A, B & C."
*
*
Also, I am working on my focus group. Since I am Chair of the ERSA-Minor Committee, I have been learning a lot about how complex planning is. I have these grand ideas that are labor-intensive. For example we wanted to offer $20 gift certificates for the Bookstore. Well, who knew I'd have to report the names and S.S.N.s of all recipients and then they'd have to pay taxes on them. Good Grief. O
ne alternative is the buy sweatshirts, hats or T-shirts that can be exchanged at the Bookstore, but then that requires deciding on colors and sizes and then they may need to exchange it which is more like a dis-incentive if you ask me. Ugh!!

So now I am trying to figure out the payment methods and delivery options. Again, that seems like it would be a simple task, but if we use a restaurant that is not part of a national chain, I need to complete a Food Permit request that will need to be aapproved by Risk Management to ensure that restaurant has not had any health incidents, etc...I reserved the room, that was about the only simple task so far. Oh well, I am gaining lots of experience. This has been an incredible learning exercise. And it helps to know that a lot of faculty I ask for assistance have not dealt with these issues so it is encouraging to know I can now serve as a resource for someone considering a similar venture in the future.
*
*
In addition, I have to prepare for my annual review. I had to print a copy of my 5 articles I have published since I began here. And I added copies of emails pertaining to future publication dates for 7 more.