Thursday, October 20

Talk About Multi-Tasking

Dear Diary,

Monday I attended a libray tour and was struck by the fact that there are entire departments dedicated to single tasks that I did as a group of tasks. Naturally, I understand why, because I was one of two librarians in a relatively small library, but it demonstrated to me that I have a wide range of skills, as a result of being a semi-solo librarian. For example, I did collection development, acquisitions, weeding and de-accessioning, "Tattle-Taping" meaning putting the security strips in the materials, I put Mylar on the dust jackets, I cataloged the materials (print and audiovisual), I claimed missing materials, I shifted the shelves (shelf maintenance), I did reference, bibliographic instruction, reserves and ILL requests. All of the above are separate departments in the main library (with the exception of Government Docs). Wow! I never thought about it.

Bonus: Me and my co-resident were asked to co-chair the Library Committee for the Department of Africana Studies. Yippee! I created a Collection Development Policy and ran it by the team, before I begin my search for resources, I need to have a clear goal.

BONUS: My 4th article has been accepted for publication by the American Library Association's Versed. This one is my Bibliographic Essay that I spent the absolute most time on, it is 24 pages "short."

And I was notified of the following nomination:

"Congratulations! The American Library Association's Nominating Committee has selected you as a candidate for Councilor-at-Large in the 2006 election. You were selected from a pool of many well-qualified potential candidates. Your nomination indicates the high regard in which your peers hold you."