Saturday, June 24

More than a Notion

Dear Diary,

I am pretty much one of a very few librarians who are not at the Annual American Library Association Conference this week. As such, I have been making a concentrated effort to check in with our library student workers to make sure things are going smoothly and see if there are any concerns they have.

As a result I am pleased that I have because in informal passing conversations with a few of the young ladies I have noticed some disconcerting patterns related to their safety. Some travel to adjoining campuses on foot or on bikes and one was followed by a "creepy guy" trying to hit on her. And I am not sure what route she was on but at times the path can be a bit secluded (by trees) and since it is summer there are fewer people about, in general.

Other young ladies have been in uncomfortable situations or been forced into unpleasant but "seemingly innocuous" conversations with male employees in areas that don't have a lot of people nearby.

Since this is their first job, I have contacted the administrators of this program to see if we can have a formal "Safety Tips" discussion with the student workers. This is useful information for their future, especially since they will be going away from home for the first time and so we will see.

Also, I am pleased that I have contributed to the quelling of a potential student walkout. Due to extenuating circumstances, the students pay will be about a week late...so I was able to offer explanations and reassure the students that these things happen, but "bonus" they will have more money when they do get paid...in theory. Who knows how payroll handles these things. The important thing is to listen to any frustrations. Venting can be therapeutic.

I have learned how important it is to balance worker needs and management limitations. Also with the safety issues, I have had to walk a fine line between earning and maintaining worker confidence and trust while balancing the universities need to be aware of potentially problematic actions.

Also, I am thoroughly enjoying my mentoring. I couldn't ask for a better mentee. I am learning a lot from her, as well. We are so much alike. Not only are we both absolutely beautiful, incredibly intelligent and socially aware, but we have a similar outlook on life, overall. Yippee! Great experience.