Wednesday, May 31

African & Caribbean Diaspora(s)

Dear Diary,

I was pleased to get 9 of my 10 titles approved to be added to our collection on the African Diaspora. I got 3 titles approved to be added to our Caribbean collection, as well. For a grand total of 9 out of 10.

Not bad considering that my 10th title was already in the collection as part of a microfilm collection that I had not way to know about since WorldCat did not reflect that accurately. Not bad for a days work.

It was pretty interesting to see the entire process for selection from a variety of bibliographies and collection management programs all the way through to the approval. We are still comparing our collection to the conspectus of another library with a level 3 research collection. We have a large South African collection but a small East African collection (especially on Rwanda). Although some books may be in political science or other locations due to cataloging.