Monday, March 27

A Word to the Wise is Sufficient

Dear Diary,

I have begun grading my final assignments that were submitted early, during the last class session. I purposely tried to allow ample time for my students to complete the last assignment in class. I think it is a great benefit to be there to answer questions, right when the information is freshest in their minds.

Also, it is a marvelous way to observe their approach to the assignment, i.e. Group work vs. independent. What I find amusing, is that after having toiled all the live-long-day, taking pain-staking measures to impart the intricate strategies to search CrossFire, SciFinder Scholar, NCBI, USPTO, etc... there are those who immediately resort to GOOGLE.

Don't get me wrong, I love Google as much as the next gal, but for the love of Pete. I have put my figurative blood, sweat and tears into demonstrating advanced search techniques for powerful subscription databases with proprietary information but they are obviously no match for the omnipotent Google.
*
What can I say?
The others "Are Not Worthy..." Ha!
************************************
As a personal touch, I add a motivational quote to each grade sheet when I return assignments to my students, recent examples include:

Assignment #5
"Attempt the end and never stand to doubt;
Nothing's so hard, but search will find it out."
by Robert Herrick, Hesperides--Seeke and Finde

Assignment #6
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
by Immanuel Kant

Assignment #7
"Let your imagination release your imprisoned possibilities."
by Robert H. Schuller

Assignment #8
Winners compare their achievements with their goals,
while losers compare their achievements with those of other people”
by Nido Qubein

Assignment #9
I'm glad I did it, partly because it was worth it,
but mostly because I shall never have to do it again!
by Mark Twain