Friday, March 17

If I Were President....or at least Councilor-at-Large

Dear Diary,

I have received very positive feedback on my Statement of Professional Concerns:

Librarians propagate comprehensive information through collection, scholarly publication, exhibits and speeches.

A critical component include forging diversity in library’s racial and religious compositions. Library collections must raise awareness of conditions concerning underrepresented populations, globally. I utilize my training to unearth and disseminate information about obscure issues.

As a representative of “Diversity,” it is incumbent upon me to include unrepresented beliefs, lifestyles and values. People confuse my being an African-American, as the sum total of my diversity contribution.

Fortunately, I also have non-conformist ideals, and I’m not afraid to vocalize them.

I am anActivist Librarian.” I don’t believe librarianship is a passive profession. I am passionate about social issues.

Librarians must lead the way, since we are uniquely positioned to stem society’s arrested development, by collection management from divergent sources.