Saturday, April 21

24/7

Dear Diary,

I've been swamped as of late and have not had the time nor energy to update my blog. I am feverishly working on my Electronic Resources Blog, the content and terms for the links and playing in my newly created Drupal Sandbox. But hopefully we will be able to launch what we have within a week or two.

In preparation for my Outreach Librarian duties, I have created my very first ad, for the Spectrum Scholars 10th Anniversary booklet, that was approved and sent off to production within a 24-hour turn around. One of the new people I will be working closely with, suggested I slow down, since the deadline was not soon. Ha! She will learn that in my mind the deadline is always near. I like to think I am completion oriented. Yes, that is the nicest way to say I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
I am working on the poster session for my Emerging Leaders team to present at ALA Annual and I am also preparing for a presentation, Leslie and I are doing for our library's May Institute. The topic is Marketing which should be very fun. And of course there is my WPIT (Web Presence Improvement Team) Committee work.
Additionally, I have been conducting lots of card sorting usability tests which are time consuming. One day this week, I did usability testing in the morning, then went to a faculty meeting and was getting computer upgraded and there was an honest-to-goodness line outside of my door, at least 3 or 4 people were waiting to get in to talk to me. When the last one left they asked if I wanted me door closed? Yes, please or I would not have gotten any work done other than meetings. So I returned from a faculty meeting. I had literally 30 minutes free on my Corporate Time Calendar so while at the faculty meeting one of my teams requested I squeeze them into that 30 minute open time slot. Done. We left the faculty meeting 5 minutes early so I had 5 whole minutes to try to get some work done, and int hat 5 minutes my phone rang with another of my teams asking for that free 30 minutes. Ha! Ha! I told them it was already snatched up so they were kind enough to wait until my final meeting ended which was technically the end of the work day but they waited and we were also able to meet. When the staff person was upgrading my computer she said "When I looked at your calendar and saw you were booked solid every day, I thought it was a mistake...but now I see." She has agreed to vouch for me as she witnessed the line outside my door and the simultaneous phone conversations. It is all about Multi-tasking. I laugh when I think back to comments made to me by patrons, that "They wish they got paid to just sit down and read all day!" I wish I did too!