Tuesday, September 19

Pirate Teacher Debut


Dear Diary,

Today Pascal and I teamed up and co-taught our first First Year Composition Library Instruction classes and what a gRRRReat class. I got very positive Evaluations. I created my own to determine which things were "engaging" and what was "distracting." I was asked for this type of feedback for my "Pirate-Teacher's Active Learning Exercises" article that will be published in the Journal of Academic Librarianship in March 2007.Needless to say, I got a LOT of attention, especially while taking my students on a tour of the first three floors of the library. After both 75 minute classes which were one after the other, I walked to LaFun to grab a bite and oh my gosh, what an experience! I had gotten a lot of practice with a "quick explanation" about teaching topics such as "Net Piracy" and "Use if Pirated Materials" blah blah blah because I had the good fortune to have our Director walk past the room while we were setting up and naturally she came to ask why I was dressed like a pirate? Anywho...the students I encountered on the God-Quad loved the idea. Some asked if they could "Request my class session" since all First Year Students have to take such a library class. Awww. I was flattered. A few students yelled out jokes for me to answer which I got wrong, such as:

Q: What is a Pirate's favorite animal?
A: aaRRRRRRdvark

Q: What is a Pirate's favorie mode of transportation?
I guess RRRRR V ...wrong!
A: A Ship.

I tell ya the fun never stops when you walk across campus in a Pirate outfit!

Fellow librarians told me about this great Pirate teaching resources: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/teachers.html
My students were aware that today was International Talk Like a Pirate Day. http://www.talklikeapirate.com/