Wednesday, April 26

1 Week to Go

Dear Diary,

I have been covering both sections since my manager is out celebrating the birth of his newest child. Next week is my final week of class. I have thoroughly enjoyed my second rotation with the Chemistry Library.

I encountered different complexities with the second rotation. This may be attributed to the fact that during the first rotation, I was physically located in a separate branch library. Whereas I am physically in the main library but my duties are in a branch library. For example, we had to figure out which department gives me a Copy Card and/or which photocopier (and paper) should I use...Budgets you understand.

But we figured it out and I am preparing to transition to my 3rd rotation with Collection Development that begins next week. I have meetings to tour the Approval Plan room.

In the last 3 conversations I've had with one of the Residency's overall managers, it has been stated that:
"While I have published 3 articles since I arrived here 10 months ago...
it is not SCHOLARLY."

I take great umbrage with that statement.

Mainly because as I explained to the manager, "I have been in two rigorous rotations since arriving...Law & Chemistry!" In addition, I further explained that I would need time buit into my schedule to commit to research. But as I think about it....my co-workers in the Law Library explained that Bibliographies are considered scholarly, which was why I wrote that 25 page Bibliographic Essay which I researched on my weekends and evenings. I recalled asking about "Scholarly publishing" during my interview and the same manager explained that my role would mainly be to assist T&R (teaching and research) faculty with their research as opposed to me conducting my own.

I did really appreciate it when another one of the overall Residency managers countered that "Well technically a lot of our permanent librarians have not published!" That made me feel better.